Monday, August 23, 2010

Hunter's birth

After his first bath at home
what a face
Only a few minutes old

Proud parents

It all started Tuesday night, the Dr.'s office called and said that Thursday was really busy for inductions and wanted to know if we wanted to wait until Saturday. Not really, once we knew it was Thursday the thought of waiting two more days was not that appealing. So went about the rest of our day thinking I still had two more days. Wednesday morning at 8:30 am (of course I was still sleeping) my phone rang, and I didn't want to answer but I saw it was the Dr. so I thought I better. The lady on the other end said tomorrow is really busy is there any chance you guys want to come in today? The next step was to call Dave who was already at work and see what he thought. My mom was flying in from the airport at 1 pm, so I needed to figure somethings out.

Dave called back and said let's do it, my work is fine with me taking the rest of the day off. So he was going to leave at 12pm. Luckily my friends Elizabeth was already staying with us and she was able to help us out. So I needed to be to the hospital by 11 am, so we got ourselves and four kids ready to leave by 10:40ish. The plan was that Elizabeth will drop me off at the hospital, then go drop her kids off at her sister-in-laws, then go pick up my mom from the airport, then bring her and my boys back to my house, then come to the hospital for pictures. Wow, what a lifesaver!

Dave got to the hospital at 12:30 and I was all checked in and hooked up to the patocin (don't know how to spell it) for about 45 min. At 12:45 pm the doc broke my water, which made the contractions more intense, so by 1:30 pm I got my epidural. At 2:00 pm the nurse checked and I was at a 4, so we figrued it would still be a few hours. Around 3 I started to feel pressure and I was trying to explain to Dave what it felt like, and I said no way I'm at a 10 already, I think I'm just getting close. So when the nurse came in I told her I felt the pressure, so she took a peak and she said well it looks like your ready to have this baby, let me go get the Dr. I think it was around 3:15-20ish when she got there and shortly after that I started to push. It only took 2 10 second count pushes and a couple of half pushes and he was out.

Now the moment of truth, how much does he weigh? We were all anxiously waiting. 5 lb 4 oz, and 20 in long. Sweet, what a relief! And I can't believe how long he is, the boys were both 18.5 in. He came out wonderfully healthy, and looked great. Once I delivered the placenta we looked at it and it was only about the size of Dave's hand and it had a crusted edge around it. the Dr. said that's what it does when it has shut down, and decides it doesn't want to grow anymore. So her it looks like we did the right thing. At this point things are going well, hunter and I are enjoying some skin to skin, and he has already nursed a little.

Time to head up to recovery, here's where the excitement starts. Once we get up to the 3 rd floor I feel a gush of blood, but I thought no big deal, you never know how much is coming out. Then I move to the bed in the recovery room and I tell Dave I don't feel good, and start to get really light headed and pale. Dave looks down and see pools of blood on the bed. He tells the transporter girl, um there's a lot of blood we need a nurse. At this point I'm pretty out of it and am not sure what's happening. the nurse gets there and pushes on my stomach and I feel a wave of blood pour out, and hear her say oh man. I'm in and out the whole time, not really with it. The Dr. comes in and tells me I have a blood clot in my uterus and she needs to manually extract it. During all this my blood pressure dropped to 50/30. After she removed the blood clot, they gave me some medicine to make my uterus start contracting because it just kept pumping out blood.

Once the clot was removed I started feeling better for a time, and was really hungry so I thought I would eat something, well I guess my stomach wasn't ready for that and I started to feel really nauseous and just wanted to go to sleep. They put some anti-nausea medicine in my IV and I was off to sleepy land, for a little while anyway. I guess I put everybody on high alert and couldn't get more then a 20 min nap before people were coming to draw blood, check vitals, check bleeding everything. I finally started feeling better around 9 pm.

Thankfully Hunter was an angel the whole time in the hospital and has been ever since we have been home. The boy loves to sleep and is a great eater, caught on to nursing right away. He wakes up every 3-4 hours to eat and then goes right back to sleep where ever he's laying, crib, bouncer, on your chest. He is just perfect and shows no signs of being premature. We are so blessed that he has come to us with no problems. We love him so much!

5 comments:

Larsens said...

What a relief for you all to have him here safe and sound and Im so happy you are ok too! What a great "intuition" you have. I love knowing of birth stories where mom prayed and got an answer to know what is best for themselves and baby. Good job Shawna! Cant wait to get my hands on him!!

Melanie said...

I'm so glad everything turned out. That blood pressure is a really dangerous thing.

Congratulations! He sure is adorable.

Rachael said...

Wow, what an ordeal! I'm so glad you are recovering well! I had hemmorging after my first too--scary stuff. I remember that medicine too, but they forgot to give me the anti-nausia stuff and I puked every where. Just take it easy and take your iron!!!

Cassie R said...

Wow Shawna....that's a lot to go through...But all is good and healthy now...Thank God!!!!!! =) Your little bundle is too cute!! Enjoy!

Krystal said...

I am so glad you are both ok. That is so scary Shawna! We can't wait to meet him. Congrats on #3!