Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fetal Echocardiogram



A couple of weeks ago when we had our routine ultrasound, that Dr. saw that the left side of the heart was a little bit smaller then the right side. She didn't give us much reason to be concern, but said that we should do a fetal echocardiogram at primary children's to give it a second look. Today I had the fetal echo and the Dr. there saw the same concerns about the size of the left side of the heart. The left side of the ventricular wall looks great, the concern is with the Aortic arch. The Aortic arch is looking too thin, right now it's fine because as a fetus that part only deals with 10% of the blood flow, after the baby is born and detached from the placenta it will handle 100% of the blood flow. There is also a slight concern with the Aorta and that it is too thin as well, although not as much of a concern. In 6 weeks I will go and have another echo and we will track the growth of the the Aortic arch.

If it hasn't grown enough it is called coarctation of the Aorta which is basically that the artery is too narrow. If that is the case we will discuss what the plan of action is. Certainly this is not what we want to hear, but we are staying positive and hoping that the heart will grow and develop the best it can. We are staying positive and know that the Lord will comfort us.

4 comments:

The Lambert Family said...

I hope everything is okay! I will keep you guys in my prayers! I'm sure it will all be fine.

Larsens said...

Your family is our prayers. We need that baby girls heart to grow! Faith not fear. Love you!

Kaci Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaci Morgan said...

I am sorry to hear this, Shawna! You have to let me know how your next appointment goes. Poor baby girl! If it makes you feel any better, I have a hole in my heart. Literally!...and it doesn't stop me one bit ;)
So you never know with these types of things.