Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Not such a good night at basketball...

I pretty much copied this from what I just wrote on FB so sorry for those who are reading it twice.

Hey all, last night when Dave was playing basketball he dislocated his left elbow. He jumped up to block a shot, and the other person ended up underneath him, so he rolled off and land on his wrist with his arm fully extended. Right away he knew something was wrong because it was popped out of joint. Right then his brother Steve took him to the hospital to get it put back in place, and make sure there was no other damage. After being at the ER for 6 hrs. he finally got home with it put back in place with a soft splint on and a sling. However, the x-rays at the ER showed that he has broken of a piece of the head of the radius. So with that news we went to see Dr. Hillyard this morning. He was very informative and gave us lots of options and things to think about. He also took some more x-rays to see the the position of the joint just 12 hours later. He was pleased with how the relocation looked with a little ligament stretch on one side of the radial head. The x-ray was also to check the status of that break in the radial head. It is pretty detached from the bone, which is not the best news. The best case scenario would be to not have to have surgery and that the piece will reattach it's self. We are taking the weekend to relax think about what we want to do, and hope that when he goes in on Monday for more x-rays things will look favorably.

Please keep Dave in your thoughts and prayers for a non-surgical recovery.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Good luck with everything! Maybe he'll pull off a complete recovery and be able to play in CBAC in just one week (totally kidding).

But sort of not... anyone for a CBAC Miracle?

Larsens said...

That stinks! Jake had a pretty physical game last night. Im going to tell him about this so he cools it a little. I hope Dave recovers quickly. Cute Easter pics(:

The Lambert Family said...

How terrible! I hope he doesn't have to have surgery. Church ball is so dangerous!

Bliss & Gary said...

Wow! I guess what they say about church b-ball is true! We will put positive thoughts out there and pray for Dave's quick and non-surgical recovery. It is so fun to see what you and your family are up to, your blog is so funny! I love the new family picture at the top! We miss you all and hope to see you soon

Krystal said...

I'm sorry girl! That is horrible. I had an incident with my radial head two summer's ago where I popped off the top of it. I chose the Non-surgical approach though and I'm STILL having issues with it. I'm not for surgery if I don't absolutely have to, but sometimes I think I should have opted for the surgery. I would definitely get a second opinion, It can't hurt!