Sunday, June 26, 2011

American Fork Half Marathon


On Saturday June 25th my friend Kaci Morgan and I ran the American Fork half marathon, it was both of our first time running a half marathon, so it was nice for us to run it together. Preparing for the race started Friday night, I spent the night at Kaci's house because we needed to be down to AF to catch the bus to ride up the canyon between 4:15-5:00 am, the race started at 6 am! We tried to go to bed at 9:00 pm, but who knows what time I really fell asleep. We woke up at 3:40 am, got dressed, ate some breakfast, and were on our way.

I didn't bring my camera, and Kaci's phone camera wasn't working so we didn't get any pictures before the race. It started at the top of AF canyon and ended at AF high school, 13.1 miles. I had a goal of finishing around 2 hours, so I knew I needed to keep a pace of about 8:50 minutes per mile. The nice thing was that the race was pretty much down hill for the first 7 miles, that certainly helped me keep my pace up, however at about 5 miles I was done going down hill. I also started running next to a great lady at about mile 6 and we kept pace with each other for about 4 miles, and I probably would have stayed with her till the end but at the 10 mile water stop I had a hard time getting my goo open so I had to stop and open it and drink the water. Once I got started again it was hard on my legs, the first 10 miles felt great, dare I say easy, the last 3 were rough, including some up hill terrain. Even though the last three were ruff I still managed to get a good time and finished in 1:57:20 unofficially. I am super excited about that, it is nice to have the accomplishment under my belt. Not sure what the next step is, but anything really.

Here I am enjoying some chocolate milk to help with recovery

Time to stretch it out

The boys and I enjoying some grub


All my cute boys coming to cheer on mom


100% of the proceeds go to help fight cancer


Showing we still have some strength

Kaci was done with picture time

All done and ready for a nap.

All in all it was a really fun experience and I know I will do another one. Kaci thanks for doing it with me you rock!

4 comments:

The Tices said...

That is so awesome. Way to go Shawna!!

Kristiina said...

now I know why my birthday wishes were one day late;)
Well done you!!!

The Lambert Family said...

Looking good! I want to run a half marathon someday. I need to train first though!

Rachael said...

You are amazing! Way to go!!!