Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No red meat =...

Well let me just start by saying I have not felt much like my self physically since Hunter was born. The first few month were tricky due to the hemorrhaging, I wasn't too tired, but I also didn't feel quite right. Then of course we have the appendix right before Thanksgiving. Again I seemed to recover fine, but every time I would try to workout I had no energy, and didn't feel like I could give enough. I did try to keep in mind that my baby was only a few months old, but I also remember after Makay I bounced right back. As the end of the year was approaching, and the end of the Holidays more importantly, I was looking forward to being slightly less busy and able to have a better schedule.
January comes and I'm feeling some what better, but still not great. My workout routines are erratic at best, and with the intensity I want. I'm not sure what's wrong. on Monday February 7th I give another go, do a pretty easy run at a pretty easy pace, then do some ab exercises and call it a day. After that I get the kids and we head to Costco. I feel fine driving, but once I unload everybody and make our way into the store I'm feeling pretty light headed and very weak. I continue to get my groceries, because I don't want to come back, but also continue to feel terrible. I finally make it to the bathroom and feel a little better. Once I start checking out it comes back and now I am seeing mostly black with silhouettes of people. I decided to order a smoothie and sit down and take a break. I sat there for at least an hour before I felt o.k. enought to drive home. Anyway long story short, I felt weak and bad all week and on Friday had another lightheadedness spell after the shower. So I finally called the Doctor and got some blood drawn.
Yesterday the results were in and I was right on the borderline of being anemic, with low iron and vit-B12. So for now I am going to start taking an iron and B12 supplement and increase iron in my diet and retest in a month. I'm glad it's something that can be fixed some what easily, and I hope that the results will be more favorable next month. Now I know that this is not all due to the lack of red meat consumption on my part, but that certainly doesn't help. I can't say I never eat it, but it is never my first choice. And the saddest part is now that in-n-out is finally here in Utah, I have felt sick the last few times I have eaten it.
Hopefully taking the supplements will give me more energy and help me get back to a good exercise routine.

3 comments:

The Lambert Family said...

I think I am a little anemic becuase I don't eat red meat. I probably need to take some iron too!

Cassie R said...

Keep us updated, Shawna!!!

Hope the supplements help you...

Much love to you and your family!!


Cass

Larsens said...

Oh Im glad its an iron issue and not what we were talking about. Listen to your body Shawna, you'll work it out!