Saturday, November 20, 2010

Who Needs an Appendix?

So on Thursday afternoon around 3:00pm I and some cramping in my stomach, mostly feeling like I needed to pass gas. My friend Elizabeth and I were at kangaroo zoo letting the kids play, it wasn't too bad there since I was doing a lot of sitting, but once we got up, loaded the kids in the car, got back to my house and unloaded the kids I could barely walk. Elizabeth had to make dinner, when Dave got home we ate I felt a little bit better, but not great. We were all sitting around visiting, but the pain was getting worse. I wasn't sure if I had eaten something bad for lunch and it was just working it's way out or if it was something bad. Around 10:20 I decided I should go to the hospital. I wasn't doubled over in pain, but I knew the pain was not going to go away, and Elizabeth was still there, so I would rather go now, then wait for it to get unbearable and have to call someone to come over at 2 am. So she took me to the hospital while Dave stayed home with hers and our kids.

Once we got to the ER we got right back to the room and they gave me some morphine for the pain, started an IV and drew some blood. The test came back and everything looked good, which kept the Doctors a little puzzled. My pain was now isolated down toward the right ovary area, however since my white blood count was normal they didn't immediately diagnose it has an appendicitis. I was then taken to have an ultrasound to see if it was an ovarian cyst. Did that and everything looked great, which was good, but yet still no solid explanation. By this time the pain was getting a little bit worse and more isolated. So the ER doc called the surgeon and told him to admit me and they would recheck my white blood count in the morning.

I finally get all moved up to the room and admitted at 4:30 AM. I get to sleep until 6:00am until they come and draw my blood, by this time I couldn't really go back to sleep because of the pain and being so uncomfortable. The test come back and my white blood count is up which means infection. So the surgeon comes in at 10:00 am and says he will get me in soon. Dave comes around 11:15 am while Elizabeth stays home with the kids. He gives me a blessing and I get taken down to get prepped at 12:00 pm, I say good bye to Dave and am in the OR by 12:30pm. the next thing I know is I'm waking up in the recovery room at 2 pm. The rest of the day is spent falling asleep and talking to people on the phone to explain the whole story.

Saturday morning I had to get my last bag on antibiotics and the I could be discharged and go home. The surgeon came in and said my appendix was about 2 hours away from rupturing, but because my colon was laying on top on my appendix is why it took so long for my white blood count was took a while to raise and why I didn't have a fever. He also did the operation through my belly button and made two other tiny incisions so that I won't have a huge scar on my stomach.

Now I am back at home and my wonderful husband as been taking care of me and the kids, he's amazing! I am thankful that everything turned well, and that it got taken out before it ruptured. After all that has happen during Hunter's birth and now, I hope we have a less eventful three months.

6 comments:

The Lambert Family said...

Sorry to hear. I had my gall bladder out a few years ago becuase i was having horrible gall bladder attacks. Not fun! Get well soon! :)

Krystal said...

Wow girl you need some down time! I'm so sorry. I'm glad you are ok. Get better soon!

Kaci Morgan said...

Shawna! I am so sorry! That sucks! It is so good that it didn't rupture though! I can't imagine how painful that would have been. I hope you are getting better. We are headed down to St George for Thanksgiving but I will call you soon.

Larsens said...

yikes! Glad it worked out the way it did and not worse!

Cassie R said...

Ouch!! You are one strong cookie...always have been. :)

Feel better soon....How are you now Shawna?

Your kids are waaaay too cute!!!!

Love, Cassie


Happy belated birthday!!!!

Anthony Holden said...

Ack, Shawna! what drama-- I am so glad they caught it in time and you are ok. Thank you for sending us the cute, cute Christmas card and baby announcement. We are enjoying Cali, but miss the quieter life in Utah. Please come see us next time you come down!